Everything You Need to Know About HummusApr 29, 2022
Hummus has been a popular food for quite some years. Everywhere we go we see it. Big markets, little mom-and-pop markets, the local farmers market, and so many restaurants are selling this spread. Not only is it super tasty and very versatile, but it’s a nutrition superstar.
Hummus is made from chickpeas (a.k.a. garbanzo beans), which means it’s high in protein, fiber, and folate. We know that eating beans provides a number of health benefits, including reducing cholesterol levels, decreasing risk of cancer, and increasing satiety (making it easier to lose weight). The other main ingredients in hummus include tahini (heart-healthy monounsaturated fat-rich sesame seed paste), lemon juice, garlic, and seasonings.
There’s a whole variety of flavors in which hummus can be found. Besides the original, plain type, you can also find spicy, roasted red pepper, garlic, roasted eggplant, sun-dried tomato and basil, and edamame (soy bean) flavored hummus. Each one is so good, it’s hard to pick a favorite; although, we are a fan of spicy. There’s even beet hummus or black bean hummus! Oh yes, it seems like you can make hummus out of anything. Our favorite brand of hummus is Lantana and we’re particularly fond of their sriracha carrot hummus. You should definitely try it out!
What to do with hummus?
The easiest use for hummus is as a dip for all sorts of colorful veggies. But, let’s think outside the box. How else can you use hummus?
- Use it as a spread on sandwiches and wraps (GF, naturally;) ) instead of mayo. It’s especially good on a roasted vegetable sandwich.
- Try using it as a salad dressing. Thin it out with some water or lemon juice and a little extra virgin olive oil (we prefer California Olive Ranch) until it reaches the consistency of your liking.
- Mix it into some cooked grain, like quinoa, brown rice, or sorghum, fresh herbs and chopped veggies.
- Mix it with some salsa or guacamole and serve with some grain-free tortilla chips, like those made by Siete.
- Make your own hummus. It’s actually very quick and easy and will impress your guests.
We have a homemade hummus recipe for you to try this week! We include sweet paprika and ground cumin for a little added flavor. You can make a big batch on the weekend and enjoy throughout the week. Let us know if you try any of the flavor combinations!