Your Go-to Green SmoothieMay 02, 2022
Green smoothies are still all the rage. While food fads come and go, none have shown the staying power like the green smoothie.
Green smoothies can either be a sugar bomb, loaded with way too much fruit, or they can be a perfectly nutritious and delicious meal that will keep you full for hours. We designed our Green Goddess smoothie to be nutrient-rich, macro-balanced, and so delicious that you will be wanting to make it again and again.
Tips for the best smoothie taste and texture
- Use a creamy base, like unsweetened vanilla almond milk or coconut milk, or try brewed and cooled green tea. Skip the fruit juice.
- Go easy on the fruit. While you do want some fruit in your smoothie to balance out any bitterness that the greens provide, you don't want to go overboard. We love using 1/2 frozen banana and some frozen pineapple. Of course, you can switch up the fruits to your liking, but using frozen fruit also helps with a thicker textured smoothie.
- Add some protein: protein is very satiating which means it will keep you fuller for longer. We love collagen peptides (aim for 20g of collagen), but a grass-fed whey also works.
- Double down on the fiber by adding in some chia seeds. When chia seeds mix with liquid, they start to become gelatinous. While you won't taste it in your smoothie, the magic happens in your stomach. Chia seeds slow the rate at which you digest the smoothie, allowing your to feel full for longer. Read more about Chia Seeds here.
- Healthy fats, like avocado, nuts, and seeds help you absorb more of the nutrients from the fruits and veggies.
- Bonus ingredients: supercharge your smoothie with superfood ingredients like matcha green tea powder or maca powder. They are loaded with anti-inflammatory antioxidants and help promote better and more stable energy levels.
For more great smoothie ideas, check out our Smoothie Cheat Sheet.